Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wesley's Progress

When Wesley was 15 months old, everyone told us that they couldn't believe how many words he could say. His articulation wasn't always perfect, but he definitely had language.

As he got older I noticed that his language didn't change, he didn't learn new words the way that he was supposed to be. Not only that but he stayed the same size. Wes will be three in a month and he only weighs 26 lbs. He wears size 18 month clothing, and sometimes 12 month. He is super tiny.

I lied to myself and told myself that he is just a late bloomer, and that he will come around. Finally, a few months ago, I decided that he really needed help. A woman from early intervention came to my house and decided that he really did need quite a bit of help.

A few 'team meetings' and evaluations later, Wesley is in a sensory and language play group. He has Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy once a week and I've been REALLY working with him on his speech and to help give him the sensory input his little body needs. He doesn't have an official diagnosis yet, but we just had a psychological evaluation done a little over a week ago, so that will give us a clear idea of what is going on.

The improvements have been incredible. He is a calmer child who is able to communicate much more effectively than ever before. I am so impressed with all of his progress and I truly feel that with a lot of work he will be speaking, reading, and behaving like any other child by kindergarten.

2 comments:

earmark said...

Wow, that is amazing! I hope he continues to improve each and every day!

Lovely blog!

my best to you and your family,
Bridgette

Caroline said...

I'll keep you in my prayers, my son Geno, now 9 was the same but many more learning disabilities, He didn't speak either till about five, then we changed school systems, thats why we moved here, the school is fantastic,I received my miracle! We changed his diet and put him in many, many therapies, a long story short, he is great now,most can't tell! Keep the faith, miracles do happen!