Monday, July 6, 2009

A few steps to an interesting painting

I wanted to do a nude ethereal looking woman and I was unsure of exactly what I wanted it to look like. I had no real plan. I painted the background blue and just got started.










I had cut out the sketch of the nude woman and traced around her, and started to lay in the glow.











Until I had this, which for some reason looks very reddish, but it is definately a dark blue.

I added a crazy background, I love tree silhouettes. I spread out the glow a little more.










I deepened the blues in the background and added a little green to the trees. I elliminated the little tree on the right, it just didn't feel right. I wanted her to be pale and almost ghostly, so I kept her skin very light and added a lot of blue. This is the final result. I am pleased, although I need to take better photos for print purposes.
Although the original
painting is sold, I do have prints available on etsy:

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Good Grief!! Could you be any more talented?

courtney said...

thats! so! cool!

Melissa said...

Beautifully done! And I love seeing the process.

Caroline said...

I missed stopping in and following along with your fantastic work, I've been so swamped trying to save the gallery! I might have to let it sink soon, either way, we have to catch up!
Kudos