Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Clearing out my life

I have been feeling so unfocused lately. I think there is too much clutter in my life, and it is making my thinking cloudy. I am the only one that can do anything about this, so I am going to take charge and clear out the clutter in my house and in my schedule.
There is something about throwing unneeded things away that is so cleansing. I know that at least half of my house is junk, stuff we don't need or want.
The first step is to clear it all out, I think that I will probably donate a lot of it, and I may even have a yard sale.
It doesn't stop there though, it must be maintained. Just last year I did this same thing and somehow I acquired even more stuff! UGH! I am going to take the advice of Julie Morgenstern in her book 'Organizing from the Inside Out,' and I am going to make a home for everything and make sure that when I am finished using things that they go back in their spot. She says that it is important that this is simple and easy system, because if it is complicated it won't work. Everything should be accessable. This one thing, putting things into a home, will help me tremendously.
The other thing that is very important for me is a planner. I am one of those people that will Another key to using a planner is to try to plan the night before. I am going to start writing my to do's in my planner the night before. I have also read that starting with the most unpleasant job that you have to do and getting it done first will put you in a better and more productive mood for the rest of the day, you won't have that horrible task in front of you the whole day.
I need to narrow and thin out my to do list also. My to-do's are two pages long and never seem to get done. I am going to stop expecting so much to get done. It never does. I will start limiting myself to 5 important things that must get done and I think that I will be much more likely to actually do them. Something that can be helpful is to 'do it until it is done.' I don't know where I read this, but it makes so much since. Instead of doing a little of the task and leaving it unfinished and then having a bunch of things to finish, just do it and keep on doing it until it is done. Ofcourse, there are things that need to be done a little at a time, like my house. I have no choice but to do a chunk at a time, it is weeks worth of work.
I will also be clearing out my store, I am selling pendants and tarot readings, and art, and astrological charts and hats and purses - WAY too much. I want to have the lazer focus that I see in super successful people.
So - to clarify, starting today I will:
- Start clearing out the clutter, throwing away everything I do not use.
- Find a home for everything, and make sure that it always returns to it's home when it is used.
- Make sure that this 'home' is easy to maintain and close to the place that is it most likely to be used.
- Start using my very pretty planner, every day.
- Plan the night before.
- Do the most unpleasant, most difficult task of the day first, to get it out of the way.
- Refer to my planner every day.
- Do a task until it gets done.
- Have a yard sale.
- Clear my store of pendants, charts, readings and everything but original art and prints.
This is a big list - but I am determined to have the peace of mind that I know doing this will give me.

3 comments:

Athena's Armoury said...

I love purging and clearing space, too. I read somewhere a suggestion that every time you bring something new home, to discard something that you don't need or want. And to take it a step further, not to discard to the landfill, but to possibly upcycle the item, donate it, or even Freecycle it. Good luck!!

Curtis Collectables :) said...

Good luck with your new way of life. It'll pay off for ya if you can keep it up. I always feel better when everything is in it's place. :)

Christie Cottage said...

Ahhhh, yes. I started cleaning dresser drawers out 2 weeks ago. I went through them once and straightened it up. Thought about a drawer and the next evening I went through it again and threw stuff away and then did a donate stack. The items are donated.

I still have 3 more drawers to do and plan to do the same thing. My big project is my huge closet. You know the one that used to be a walk-in closet :-) That will take me a long time. But I want to to do the closet organizers by raising them on the wall more.

I wish you luck, now you wish me luck!