Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Who is Georgia O'Keeffe

I get out my work and have a show for myself before I have it publicly. I make up my own mind about it–how good or bad or indifferent it is. After that the critics can write what they please. I have already settled it for myself so flattery and criticism go down the same drain and I am quite free.
- Georgia O'Keeffe









Nobody sees a flower, really, it is so small. We haven't time - and to see takes time like to have a friend takes time.

If I could paint the flower exactly as I see it no one would see what I see because I would paint it small like the flower is small. So I said to myself - I'll paint what I see - what the flower is to me but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it - I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers.

...Well, I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower you hung all your own associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see of the flower - and I don't.

- Georgia O'Keeffe


I am not one that normally puts a lot of effort into learning about history. To be honest, I don't usually think about the past much, my own or other people's. I am someone who attempts to live in the present, but is very much in the future, always thinking of the next step.


However, Georgia O'Keeffe fascinates me. Her art is beautiful, but it is more than that. She seems so strong and independant, not caring what others do or think. I want to be that confident and that sure of myself.



She was born in 1887 and really put all of her time and energy into becoming the artist that she always knew she would be. At the age of 10, she decided she needed to be an artist.


She used to paint very small, until her art teacher asked her why she did this and as a joke she painted on a very large canvas. After that all of her paintings were HUGE, her largest being 24' wide.

She was a woman that enjoyed a level of fame that put her on an equal playing field with men. In the 40's she had her first full-scale exhibit and this really changed her as well as the world.


I feel like a girl in school doing a book report, but I feel the need to get to know this woman a little better. I believe that finding someone to model is an important step in finding and creating your own success, and I want her to be mine. A question I am going to ask myself from now on is, "What would Georgia do?" Hee hee. I'm only half serious.




Georgia O'Keeffe: Cow's Skull with Calico RosesWhite Flower
Pedernal, 1942 Georgia O'Keeffe: Oriental poppies, 1928(silkscreen)
Georgia O'Keeffe: SunflowerGeorgia O'Keeffe: Ranchos Church
Autumn LeavesGeorgia O'Keeffe: Petunia, 1925




1 comment:

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

I fell in love with Georgia O'Keefe the first time I saw "Oriental Poppies". Fun to read your post tonight!
Michelle-