Thursday, June 4, 2009

Monthly Goals

I have many goals that I would like to meet before I pass on from this world. However, they are pretty big goals like, get interviewed about my art on the Oprah show, have a net worth of $250 million, own a vacation home in the mountains, and the list goes on. Do I believe that these are realistic? Yes, I do. People have been on the Oprah show, I know for a fact that there are people out there who are worth millions and I have actually visited a friend's vacation home in the mountains of Vermont. If they can do it, so can anyone else - it's just figuring out how. Anyway, I am getting off topic, the point of this post is not to write about these huge goals that I will someday reach, but to talk about a new approach that I am trying.
I have noticed that when I look at these goals I am a bit overwhelmed. "Make $5 million a year, sounds great. How do I start?" Don't get me wrong I have other goals that are smaller and involve my family, "Go on three dates with my husband this month," "Have Selene read me a full chapter book by the 1st of August,". Even these though, seem like I keep putting them off. So what I decided to do is to actually break down my goals into monthly goals. So, instead of reading "Make $5 million a year," I am instead reading, "Sell fifteen pieces by July 1st,". This gives me a definite number and is still challenging without being overwhelming. I will make millions someday, but I'm going to start by selling fifteen pieces of my artwork.
I then decided that even this was being put off. I was waiting until the last week of the month and saying, "Sell fifteen pieces this week,". I've had enough of me putting it off. I broke it down into weekly goals and then I broke it down even further into daily goals. For some unknown reason, this works like a charm. I write down my daily goals the night before and then I get them done one by one and cross them off as I go. It's so satisfying to cross each one off and such a sense of accomplishment to know that I am really getting things done to reach my goals.
If you are feeling overwhelmed by those big goals, break them down into smaller daily to do's. It might not be something that works for everyone, but I will tell you that it has made a tremendous difference in my life.

2 comments:

Yapa said...

beautiful paintings!

resolute twig said...

I think this is a great approach and a good way to think about it :)

and I love your work!