Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My other blog

I had to copy and paste the posts from my other blog below. For some reason I was not able to import the blog, I tried 3 times.

I just love this picture of the sunflower. I mean the actual photo. So - I have used it twice. But - who cares right? They are for different audiences. I guess not everyone loves fairies. It's hard to imagine, but just like some people don't love puppies, some people don['t want pictures of little winged ones hanging in their house. Anyway, here is my progress on the sunflower:





I am unsure if the colors are too intense.
Keepin' the faith
Posted by serenityart at 09:15 AM on February 27, 2009

It feels like I haven't sold a painting in years. In truth I sold one for Christmas for $400. I
have so many things to be grateful for. I have the most wonderfully supportive family. Not once was I ever told that I wouldn't make it as an artist by my parents or husband. Not once was I ever told to give it up, or strive for something more realistic. As a matter of fact, at one point in my life I wanted to do something else. It's almost too embarrassing to say, I wanted to be a model. I worked hard for it, and actually had some measure of success.
I went to visit my parents and my dad who is rarely serious pulled me aside and told me that he had a dream that he believed was very important. He told me that I had to be an artist. I asked what the dream was about and he said he wasn't sure, all that he knew for sure was that there was a message about me as a successful artist. He's not someone who talks about signs, dreams or visions, so I pay attention when he does. Well, on that day I made a decision to give up modeling and put my efforts into art. I bought books and taught myself how to draw accurately, and then after a few years of drawing I added color with colored pencil. After a few more years of just pencil and colored pencil, I jumped into oils. I HATED the mess and the clean up. Then someone told me about water soluble oils. It sounded like an oxymoron, but I tried it and fell in love. Now that's all I work in.
About four years ago, I started to see some real success with my portraits. I had a waiting list and it seemed like I was making enough for it to be my full time job. Then it slowed down, and since I switched to exclusively fantasy portraits, I've had only two commissions. it's frustrating when you want something so badly but it isn't yours yet. All that I know is that I have to keep the faith. I don't know how to give up. There is nothing else I want to do. I have a great day job, I train dogs. I really enjoy it, and the money isn't terrible, I can live with it. However, I just don't get that feeling of pure passion when I am training dogs. When I am painting, especially when I'm on a roll, my body feels electric the and world around me changes. The house could be on fire and I'm not sure I would notice. Hours go by in what seems like a few minutes, and my hands move without any effort. I am truly in the moment, fully alive. There's nothing like it. So you see, there is no choice, I can't pick another carreer and be satisfied, it's impossible. That's my reality.

Thanks for listening
Art ADD - two paintings at once
Posted by serenityart at 11:46 AM on February 26, 2009

I have a short attention span when it comes to most things. I focus for about half the time that I need to. Art, however, is one of the very few things that holds my interest for more than 2 minutes. Actually, I can paint for hours. I have gotten in the habit of working on more than one painting at a time. It just keeps me on my toes and I like to bounce back and forth. This is another one with a yellow flower. Feels like a theme. Here is the sketch:







It got slightly drippy, but that's not a big deal - it will straighten out as I progress. I wanted something non-fantasy to appeal to a broader audience. Who doesn't love flowers?
Stage six
Posted by serenityart at 01:18 PM on February 25, 2009
I made a few changes - as you can see:







I added some details on the flowers - eliminating some of the pencil markings that were still visible. I added more depth to the flowers by placing some highlights.


I love little things, like little fairies.





I decided I wanted the main fairy to glow. I've never done this before, and I have no reference. We'll see how it comes out.







Stage Five
Posted by serenityart at 05:26 PM on February 17, 2009

This is stage five. I finished many of the leaves and some of them I just blocked in. The yellow flowers are blocked in. The paint is translucent and allows the lines underneith to show - so it will need at least one more coat before I add details. The hand is blocked in, although nowhere near done. I only get a chance to work on this painting a couple of hours a day - if at all. So - it's coming along slowly.







Fourth Stage
Posted by serenityart at 01:19 PM on February 13, 2009

The above is the fourth stage of this painting. The hair is complete and the background leaves are being out in.

Here is a close up of the finished hair:



This is a close up of the leaves:



This is a picture of my son that I used to show a shy little fairy peeking out:




Third Stage
Posted by serenityart at 08:26 PM on February 10, 2009

This is more like the second and a quarter stage, or incomplete third stage alot of work on the hair, although it isn't quite done. The back arm is done. I also completed her shirt, which is a dark green, although you can't tell because details are hard to see in this picture.


Next Stage
Posted by serenityart at 04:27 PM on February 09, 2009
It took me a while to get my camera to work, but I finally got some decent pictures of this stage of my painting. The background is may or may not be done, I'll figure it out as I go along. The wings on the fairies will eventually have sparkles on them.










Sketches
Posted by serenityart at 12:44 PM on February 05, 2009

These are the primary sketches for my next painting. I took the two photos and sketched them out. I just had to adjust sizes and put the two together. I wasn't sure where the little one would fit in the larger one or if I'd have to move things around to make the compostion better, but it turned out to be easier than I thought. I just took the sketches to Kinkos to make it easier on myself. I adjusted the sizes and pasted the little one on (with actual glue). This is the result. Not bad so far.


I made the jeans and shirt into a dress, much more fairy like.




Fairy Series
Posted by serenityart at 01:18 PM on February 04, 2009

Right now I am in the middle of a series of small fairy paintings. I have six done so far, all the same size:11"x14". Originally, I wanted all the paintings to go together, so that they could be hung in the same wall space. This is still an option I suppose, but they feel like they are all very different from each other. I am not sure when this series will be complete. As of right now, I think I might do only two more and call it done.


I should be finished with my latest fairy tommorrow and I have a good plan for my next painting. It's different than my usual style. I plan to combine the two photos of my daughter below:

This small picture will be a fairy that stands on the fingers of the photo below. I hope to create a mood of child like innocence and curiousity.




No comments: